Thursday, April 5, 2012

HITS Triathlon Series 140.6

March 24 we got to race and met up with Nat and Laura, plus got to see the open triathlon run. Spent most the day taking pictures and scoping out the race course. The open was fun to watch, bunch of first timers and a few who was using it as a warm up for Sunday. Feel like it would have been good maybe if I would have joined them but took it as a rest day instead. 


March 25, race morning. Got to event early, did not leave my bike the night before cause of storm that was passing through. Bike was set pretty easy, nutrition took most of the time then double and triple checked things. Had the feeling something missing just could not figure out what it was. As it turned out, I did forget the Salt Stick and Anti Fatigue Cap but had enough to cover me anyways. 6:45 headed to water while putting wet suit on for a warm up. 7:15 was the start because the sunrise was little later and 7 was still dark. Start kicked off and the games had begun, normal at first with all the madness at any start. Soon found a line and stayed with it. Ended up swimming the entire first 2000 meters wedged between a guy and this girl ( ones in top pic in dark caps) on the dock I seen Mark and Nadine. Thought I should let them know I was 1/2 way and jumped out of water for the pic. Left the other two there and set out alone for the second half. Going out on lap 2 seemed to take forever, back went way quicker. Passed Mark Wilson and my buddy Mark as I got out of water 1:10:22 they yelled. Huh not bad little faster then I was thinking and had a few hundred meters to T1. I was hit with 4th out of the water as I made it to transition, had to deal with a few of the athletes doing the half who was just in front of me. T1 passed pretty quick for getting off wet suit 2:23 was it. As I got on the bike thats when it hit me bout the Salt Stick, grabbed one each out of shirt and was off. Knew it was gonna be rolling hills for the entire course so mentally had a rough day expected. By mile 5 I was passing the half bikers, not sure how many I did but there was a bunch. Nadine and Mark was all over the bike course and was giving me splits to the leaders in front. Good or bad I dont know but never stopped them. Started at 5min then time kept dropping and finally passed the 4th and 3rd place doing the full. Stayed in 2nd the rest of bike after passing the 3rd place guy at mile 60. I was telling myself, take it easy we still gotta run but found I kept wanting to charge on. Came off the bike at 5:22:12 in 2nd place over all and Mark made sure I knew it as I was in T2. As much as I had told myself for days before I was feeling my game plan slip away for the run. 2:25 and I was out of T2. Plan was to run a 8- 8:30 pace and hold it long as I could. NOPE ! 7:25 out the gate and couldnt find a way to slow. Chasing first place and trying to put as much distance I could from 3rd place got me in trouble. Knew it was a matter of time after mile 10 that he was gonna catch me and by mile 16 he did as I fell apart. Ended up walking cause stomach was wanting to empty. Stopped in the woods for a bathroom break and found hydration was blown !! It was hot , like 86 but thought I had a good jump on hydration from the bike, I was wrong. Around mile 18 I knew I needed to be at mile 20 within 3hr if I wanted to go under 11 hours for the day. Made my mark but walking was eating up a lot of time. Finally changed from water to Coke and the stomach settled, was able then to run/ walk way more then before. With the finish coming, pulled things together and ran. Out of the woods Mark yells at me, letting me know 3rd overall was me! WOW I was thinking, what a day ! Hit the finish line where all I seen was Nadine, what a sight for sore eyes. I finally get my kiss I been waiting on since my warm up swim where they went to the dock and I didnt get to seen them again. My run time was 4:04:31, bout 15min slower then I wanted but with being forced to walk I will take it.  10:42:58 time on clock, 1 hour 7 min faster then my last 140.6 time. Had a good day and feel had I stuck with my running plan, it might have been faster. It really hit me hard this day that this distance is by far my favorite of all. Sure I will run any distance but my true enjoyment is on the long course !! Looking for another and it just might be TX on April 29, who knows maybe I can pull it off and try it again. 

No comments: