Monday, August 26, 2013

Ft Desoto International Tri RR

Maybe just maybe the most uneventful race I have had ever ! In all it was what I would say an "easy day" It was one of them days when everything pretty much went smooth. I know they dont happen often and I sure aint upset about it working out that way.
Morning bike set up and all was good, I somehow got the first rack heading out of T1 and it was pretty nice. I was not feeling great, just like the girls I was there racing with. One had to drop out with stomach issues, Nadine was not feeling good either. Headed to water I was getting sick but only dry heaves pretty bad.
Swim was only a .5 mile so intent was to kick back, hang on some feet and go for a ride. Did not work out like that. As always I jumped up front and when gun went off there was a group of us headed to 1st turn. Once there it was me and another guy rounding it, so I jumped on for the ride. Soon like 40sec I was like this guy aint going!! So I pulled to the inside and within and few strokes passed him for the lead in the swim. I was so relaxed, nothing hard just cruise control, I thought about going hard but didnt feel I needed too. We had a U-turn and soon hit the sprint swimmers heading to shore. I was 1st out of the water with a 10:12 swim and headed onto the .25 run to T1.  Things went like clockwork in T1 and it was over in 47sec. Bike was 2 laps for 20 mile total with 3 U-turns in it. Come to find out they was great U-turns and could charge right through them. Once again like the swim cruise control and never felt as if I was pushing things much at all. At about mile 15 I got passed, I figured it was coming but just when. So it never really bothered me at all. Finished the bike in 52:26 and was really happy I had a 56 min figured before the race. Coming into T2 feet was out of shoes and ready to go till I got slowed by a sprint rider strolling to dismount line. Around him and into T2 and back out in 40 sec. Once again smooth ! Run was again 2 laps and was about 60%  on a hard packed path, with a small amount on beach and rest on bike path. It was a great run, lots to see and path was nice along beach. Within the 1st mile I passed one of the guys who passed me on bike and was not sure where I was falling into position. He said the guy in blue is 42 so he was in my AG. OK OH WELL thanks and I was off. Second lap I ran past Laura but never seen Nadine except twice on bike. I was all ready for a 48min run with all this IRONMAN training and very little speed work. I finished with a 45:26 and I am happy with that, no PR for the run but better then I thought. When awards rolled around I finished 5th overall and 1st masters with a 1:51:13. Then met Kent who is also on the X2PERFORMANCE Triathlon Team and talked with him about IMFL. It was good to meet him, if I dont race with him in Sept. I will see him late Oct. in PCB.
So it was one of them days that things just clicked and finished with good results. The entire day just seemed to go along and I was fine.  Ran the entire race on my new fuel mix, 30min before race mixed 1 scoop UCAN and 1 scoop BCAA and followed that with X2PERFORMANCE, on bike I had 1 scoop UCAN around mile 15, thats it nothing else ( not even breakfast) I am loving the X2PERFORMANCE and UCAN mix, it has been working wonders and look forward to using it more and taking it to IMFL !



No comments: